For us, selecting thoughtful options means deciding on products that offer the right compromise between many factors, not just green washing for PR. We take into consideration the utility of the product, the price, safety, its carbon impact by travel distance and environmental impact in a land fill or if delivered to a recycling center and the current manufacturing processes for all options vs. historical processes of traditional options.
We currently use Earthchoice recycleable takeout containers for the vast majority of our takeout.
Occasionaly, we must package a dish in a different sized takeout container not offered by Earthchoice, and must use a styrofoam container. When this happens we use a recycleable styrofoam container, which is, and has always been, recycleable. This, of coarse, will change once Earthchoice offers an acceptable solution for that specific use.
We continue to evaluate our containers each quarter when new products are shown by the industry. We also receive samples, which we seek out and receive all the time. For those customers taking home leftovers after dining in our restaurants, we do have recycled paper small boxes out and available at all of our restaurants.
Additional products which we have found to meet our criteria and use in our restaurants today are listed below:
- Our Earthchoice hinged takeout containers are recyclable and made in the USA. (EarthChoice PDF)
- All beverages taken to-go are served in either a paper solo cup or a compostable plant-based cup made in the USA. (www.f-k.com)
- Our "plastic" takeout bags are actually biodegradable bioplastic. They biodegrade naturally with no toxic residues. (www.trellisearth.com)
- Our garbage can liners are produced from 100% post-consumer plastic.
- We recycle all cardboard and glass that comes into our restaurants.
- We recycle all of our canola oils, olive oils and soy-based oils whenever used for crisp cooking processes.
- We are also working on a more complete recycling program that would include plastics, cans and miscellaneous paper.